Confirmation by court, possible tax hike in recent votes | News, Sports, Jobs
(EDITOR’S NOTE: Every Monday, the Sun-Gazette summarizes the major votes of the past week and, specifically, how our local elected officials voted on each topic. Watch for it every Monday in the Sun-Gazette.)
Local elected officials and appointees voted on the following issues over the past week:
• The Senate voted 53 to 47 to confirm Ketanji Brown Jackson of the District of Columbia as Associate Justice of the United States Supreme Court. U.S. Senator Robert Casey, D-Scranton, voted yes. U.S. Sen. Pat Toomey, R-Zionsville, voted no.
• The House voted 223 to 203 in favor of the Restaurant Revitalization Fund Replenishment Act. U.S. Representative Fred Keller, R-Kreamer, voted no. U.S. Representative Glenn Thompson, R-Howard, voted yes.
• The House voted 418 to 7 in favor of a bill asking the President to prepare a report on the government’s efforts to collect and examine evidence related to war crimes and other atrocities committed during the Russian invasion from Ukraine. US Representatives Fred Keller, R-Kreamer, and Glenn Thompson, R-Howard, voted yes.
• The Senate voted 47 to 2 in favor of legislation to expand institutional sexual assault to include assaults by caregivers on care dependents, closing a loophole that allows perpetrators to escape punishment. State Sen. Gene Yaw of R-Loyalsock Township voted yes.
• The House was out of session.
• The Loyalsock Township School Board voted in favor of a draft budget for next year that increases property taxes by 0.50 mill.
• Williamsport Area School Board approved Dr. Brandon Pardoe as Director of Student Services, Dr. Roger Freed as Principal High School Principal, Dr. Justin Ross as Associate High School Principal, Kirk Felix as Principal of School Cochran Elementary and Erin Brouse as Jackson Elementary School Principal.