Wrestling Preview: Wyoming – Wide Right & Natty Lite
WHAT: Iowa State Wrestling vs. University of Wyoming
WHERE: Arena Auditorium, Laramie, Wyoming
WHEN: Friday January 14 at 8 p.m.
HOW TO WATCH: FloWrestling
The Iowa State wrestlers are setting up their game to head west, kicking off the Big 12 double season against a salty Wyoming roster. The Cowboys return 7 national qualifiers. Last year’s team placed 4th in the Big 12 tournament, just behind the Cyclones. Iowa State is in 8th place (!) in the InterMat double rankings. The Cowboys are No. 20 in InterMat’s dual rankings. They won this duel the last two times it took place (2016 and 2017). However, they will likely be without 2 ranked wrestlers as Cole Moody and Brian Andrews are not in Wyoming’s probables. Wyoming bills this as the “Dual in the Dome”, making it the first home meeting of their season. The atmosphere will be electric in Laradise.
FloWrestling Individual Rankings. Iowa State is listed first.
125: Kysen Terukina (HM) against Jake Svihel or Brendon Garcia
- It’s the biggest hole in Wyoming’s lineup. Look for Terukina to score a bonus here.
133: Ramazan Attasauov v Job Greenwood (HM)
- A great chance for Attasauov to get a quality win here. Greenwood picked up a big win over Arizona State’s No. 6 McGee in November, but followed that up with a 1-2 performance at CKLV Invite. Hopefully Attasauov is back in full force and can build momentum for the second half of the season.
141: Ian Parker (#17) against Chase Zollman (HM) or Darren Green
- Parker specialized in the Zollman national qualifier at the Big 12 last season. I would love to see a repeat of that performance as he continues to show that he is All-American material at 141.
149: Jarrett Degen (#24) vs. Jaron Jensen
- A pair of 6th grade seniors face off here. Degen should take care of business and keep Iowa State in the win column.
157: David Carr (#1) vs. Jacob Wright (#13)
- Wright made the rounds for blood at the NCAA last season. Carr majored two years ago, but the wrestler we see now is a completely different monster. I expect Carr to push hard for a tech/pin to continue his campaign for the Hodge Trophy.
165: Isaac Judge or Austin Kraisser vs. Cooper Voorhees
- It doesn’t look like we’ll see national qualifier Cole Moody for the Cowboys, but Voorhees is a solid replacement. I would consider this one a draw. That spot has always been inconsistent for Iowa State so far this season.
174: Joel Devine (#18) or Julien Broderson against Hayden Hastings (#12)
- Julien Broderson saw his first double encounter of the season on Wednesday, earning a victory against Cal-Bakersfield. Hastings beat him 6-1 last season at the Big 12. If whoever Dresser sends could beat Hastings, he should jump up the rankings.
184: Marcus Coleman (#8) vs. Tate Samuelson (#16)
- Both of these guys are 3x National qualifiers looking to finally land on the podium at the end of the year. Coleman has been super impressive at 184 this season. I would consider him a slight favorite over the second Big 12 runner-up.
197: Yonger Bastida (#12) vs. Stephen Buchanan (#4) *KEY MATCH*
- Bastida will look for his second top-5 win of the season against Wyoming’s lone All-American last year. Buchanan is TUFF certified. Can Bastida stop him like AJ Ferrari (barf) did earlier this year? More likely it will be a high score match where both guys let the fur fly. These are just two of five Big 12 wrestlers ranked in the top 12 in that weight class.
285: Sam Schuyler (HM) against Terren Swartz
- I’d love to see Schuyler fight perennial Big 12 heavyweight contender and current National No. 10 Brian Andrews, but Swartz is listed as the likely starter. Take care of business here.
Iowa State 22, Wyoming 9
I don’t know if it’s a trap meeting or just a great game. Strong teams went to Laramie and underperformed. In addition to the altitude (7,220′), this will be one of the most hostile environments the Cyclones will face this season. I think Iowa State avoids the upset, but Wyoming certainly has a path to victory. It will get hairy if they don’t mind swing games or if Wyoming ends up with their full roster. There will be great matches throughout. You won’t want to miss this one.