Wyoming Cowboys Hunter Maldonado named Mountain West Player of the Week | Sports
December 27 – Aloha, Mountain West Player of the Week.
Wyoming senior Hunter Maldonado earned the honor after leading the Cowboys to a 2-1 record at the Diamond Head Classic in Honolulu.
The 6-foot-7 forward is the second Cowboy to be named MWC Player of the Week this season, joining forward Graham Ike. This is the first time that Maldonado has received this award in his career.
Maldonado averaged 19.0 points, 8.0 assists and 5.7 rebounds for the Pokes, who opened the tournament with a loss to Stanford before defeating northern Iowa and southern Florida.
UW scored 73 field goals during the tournament. Maldonado assisted or scored 50 of the baskets while shooting 55% from the field and 39% from the 3-point distance.
Maldonado had 22 points and 10 assists against South Florida for a double-double. He had 17 points against Northern Iowa and 18 against Stanford.
People also read …
– Wyoming Cowboys lose Sean Chambers, two key defensive players on transfer portal
– Wyoming QB Williams, WR star Neyor enter transfer portal after Potato Bowl win
– Levi Williams leads Wyoming to famed Idaho Potato Bowl victory over Kent State
– A fire burns down a house near downtown Casper
– Wyoming Cowboys lose starting cornerbacks CJ Coldon and Azizi Hearn to move gate
– “Children and a gun”: the incalculable case of a boy from Omaha, shot dead and left on a road in Wyoming
– Police respond to family dispute over southern poplar
– Look back at the third biggest snowstorm in Casper’s history
– New policy brings about abrupt end to library meeting
– Man died in the fire at the Evansville house
– Wyoming Cowboys Super Seniors Deliver to Idaho’s Famous Potato Bowl
– Casper’s wife faces arson charge in South Poplar house fire
– Court suspends Biden vaccine mandate for federal contractors in Wyoming, 9 other states
– Omicron case count rises to 4 in Wyoming
– The “Wheel of Fortune” candidate will always get a new car after losing a technical detail
UW was No. 33 in the NET rankings used by the NCAA Tournament Selection Committee at the end of the conference.
The Broncos (9-4), who were 68th in the NET standings on Monday, have won six straight games, including a victory in Washington state.
Boise State’s Tyson Degenhart was named MWC’s Freshman of the Week for the third consecutive week.
Follow UW beat writer Ryan Thorburn on Twitter @By_RyanThorburn
(c) 2021 Casper Star Tribune, Wyo.
Visit Casper Star Tribune, Wyoming at www.trib.com
Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.
Copyright 2021 Tribune Content Agency.